Trauma-Informed Care: Asking “What Happened?” Instead of “What’s Wrong?”

Many people move through life carrying things other people cannot see.

Some people shut down quickly. Some become defensive. Some avoid certain conversations. Some over-explain. Some struggle with trust, boundaries, anger, people-pleasing, or emotional regulation.

From the outside, these reactions can look confusing. They can be judged as attitude, laziness, drama, weakness, or overreacting.

Trauma-informed care asks us to slow down before making that judgment.

It does not excuse harmful behavior. It does not mean every action is okay. It means we try to understand the person in context before deciding what they need.

What the phrase says

Trauma-informed care means approaching people with an awareness that trauma may have shaped how they think, feel, relate, protect themselves, and respond to stress.

The basic shift is:

Instead of only asking, “What is wrong with this person?”

We also ask, “What happened to this person, and how did they learn to survive it?”

That does not mean every person has trauma. It means we stop assuming that behavior exists in a vacuum.

What it means in plain language

Trauma-informed care is about recognizing that past painful experiences can affect present-day behavior.

A person may react strongly because their body learned to expect danger.

A person may avoid conflict because conflict once felt unsafe.

A person may struggle with trust because trust has been broken before.

A person may shut down emotionally because shutting down once helped them get through something overwhelming.

Trauma-informed care does not mean treating people as fragile. It means treating people as human.

It asks us to consider safety, choice, trust, respect, culture, and empowerment.

In real life, this means we try not to shame people into change. We help create enough safety for change to become possible.

Origin / attribution

Trauma-informed care is not a quote with one clear original author.

The idea developed across mental health, social services, public health, education, child welfare, and advocacy work. Maxine Harris and Roger D. Fallot are often credited with helping shape the modern concept through their 2001 work, Using Trauma Theory to Design Service Systems. Their work helped describe what it would mean for entire systems, not just individual therapists, to understand the impact of trauma.

SAMHSA later gave a widely used framework for trauma-informed approaches. In that framework, trauma-informed systems realize the widespread impact of trauma, recognize signs and symptoms, respond by integrating trauma knowledge into practice, and resist re-traumatization.

So the safest attribution is this:

Trauma-informed care is a broad framework developed across the mental health and human services fields, with major early contributions from Maxine Harris and Roger Fallot and later guidance from SAMHSA.

Why it matters emotionally, mentally, or relationally

Trauma-informed care matters because people often protect themselves in ways that later become painful.

A person who learned not to trust may push people away even when they want closeness.

A person who learned to stay quiet may struggle to set boundaries.

A person who learned to stay alert may feel anxious even when nothing bad is happening.

A person who learned to please others may confuse self-respect with selfishness.

Without a trauma-informed lens, these patterns can be misunderstood. People may be labeled as difficult, needy, cold, angry, dramatic, or unmotivated.

With a trauma-informed lens, we can still hold people accountable, but with more accuracy.

The question becomes:

“What is this behavior trying to protect?”

Then:

“Is that protection still helping, or is it now costing too much?”

That is where growth begins.

Easy examples

Boundaries

Someone says yes to everything because they are afraid people will leave if they say no.

A trauma-informed response is not, “You need to stop being weak.”

It sounds more like:

“You may have learned that keeping people happy kept you safe. But now saying yes to everything is hurting you. What would a safe no sound like?”

Relationships

Someone becomes defensive when their partner brings up a concern.

A trauma-informed view does not excuse yelling, blaming, or shutting down.

It asks:

“Does feedback feel like danger to this person? Did criticism used to come with shame, rejection, or punishment?”

The work becomes learning to hear concern without treating it like an attack.

Self-respect

Someone stays in a relationship where they are constantly dismissed.

A trauma-informed view asks:

“Did this person learn that love requires tolerating emotional pain?”

The goal is not to shame them for staying. The goal is to help them notice what they have normalized.

Emotional regulation

Someone feels overwhelmed and says, “I do not know why I react like this.”

A trauma-informed response might be:

“Your reaction may be your nervous system trying to protect you. Let’s slow it down before we try to solve everything.”

This could mean breathing, grounding, stepping away, naming the feeling, or using a coping skill before continuing the conversation.

Personal growth

Someone avoids applying for jobs, dating, asking for help, or trying something new.

From the outside, it may look like laziness.

A trauma-informed lens asks:

“What does this person believe will happen if they try and fail?”

Avoidance may be protecting them from rejection, shame, disappointment, or feeling powerless again.

Growth does not mean forcing them all at once. It means helping them take one safe, realistic step.

How to use this idea

Trauma-informed care can be used in therapy, parenting, relationships, workplaces, schools, and self-reflection.

It begins with slowing down.

Instead of immediately judging a reaction, ask what might be underneath it.

This does not mean removing responsibility. It means adding understanding.

Practical ways to apply it

When you feel triggered, pause before reacting.

Ask yourself:

“What does this remind me of?”

“What am I afraid will happen right now?”

“Am I responding to the present moment, or am I responding to an old wound?”

When someone else reacts strongly, ask:

“What might this person be protecting?”

“What boundary still needs to be held?”

“How can I be clear without being cruel?”

When setting boundaries, try language like:

“I care about this relationship, but I am not okay being spoken to that way.”

“I need a break before this conversation gets worse.”

“I want to understand you, but I also need to protect my own peace.”

When working on personal growth, ask:

“What behavior helped me survive before but is hurting me now?”

“What would safety look like in this situation?”

“What choice do I have now that I did not have then?”

“What is one small step I can take without overwhelming myself?”

Journal prompts

“What do I do when I feel emotionally unsafe?”

“What reactions do I judge in myself before trying to understand them?”

“What did I learn about trust, conflict, love, or boundaries growing up?”

“What protective habit am I ready to gently question?”

“Where do I need more choice, safety, or support in my life?”

Closing takeaway

Trauma-informed care is not about treating people like they are broken.

It is about recognizing that many people adapted to painful things the best way they could.

Some of those adaptations helped them survive. Some may now be keeping them stuck.

The goal is not to excuse everything.

The goal is to understand enough to heal, grow, set boundaries, and make new choices.

A trauma-informed approach says:

“You make sense in context. And you are still allowed to change.”

Works cited / sources used

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 6 Guiding Principles to a Trauma-Informed Approach.

Harris, Maxine, and Roger D. Fallot, editors. Using Trauma Theory to Design Service Systems. New Directions for Mental Health Services, 2001.

National Child Traumatic Stress Network. SAMHSA’s Concept of Trauma and Guidance for a Trauma-Informed Approach.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Trauma and Violence: What Is Trauma and Its Effects?

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Trauma-Informed Approaches and Programs.

Comments